Healthy Shepherd's Pie
Time: 60 minutes
2 potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
3 tbs EVOO
1 brown onion, finely diced
3 zucchinis, grated
3 carrots, grated
1 capsicum, finely diced
10 button mushrooms, finely sliced
1 cup frozen peas
2x 400g canned lentils, rinsed thoroughly and drained
1L salt reduced beef stock
Pinch mixed herbs
3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
500g lean beef mince
3-4 tbs flour of choice (I use 4 tbs buckwheat flour)
¾ cup freshly grated parmesan
1. Preheat grill to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a large baking tray with spray oil.
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and boil sweet potatoes and potatoes until soft (~ 20 mins). Drain and mash, using skim milk to achieve desired consistency.
3. Heat 2tbs EVOO in a deep-dish pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add zucchini, carrot, capsicum, mushrooms, peas and lentils and cook for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add stock, mixed herbs, bay leaves and season to taste. Add 1 tbs of flour at a time and stir through, until slightly thickened. Leave to simmer fora further 10 minutes.
4. In a separate pan, heat 1 tbs EVOO and add beef mince. Brown the mince, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Once cooked, mix through the vegetable mixture.
5. Pour the vegetable and mince mixture into the large baking tray. Evenly spread the potato mixture over the top and sprinkle with parmesan. Grill for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is crispy and golden.